One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inability to defend oneself or to act effectively.‘worst of all is the feeling of helplessness’
- ‘Optimism turns to pessimism and a growing sense of helplessness as funds are depleted and rejection letters arrive.’
- ‘All of them plead helplessness due to lack of funds and lack of manpower.’
- ‘These faces tell a story of loss, of despair, and of complete helplessness.’
- ‘His face expresses bewildered helplessness, reminding us that the photographer must either choose to lend a helpful hand or snap the photo.’
- ‘He watched her with a mingled feeling of helplessness, admiration, and hate.’
- ‘What this film does get right is the utter helplessness of man when pitted against a shark in a battle of life or death.’
- ‘I can remember well my bewilderment and sense of helplessness when given the task of identifying a topic, posing 'the question', creating hypotheses, and identifying an appropriate research methodology.’
- ‘The proprietor spreads his hands in a gesture of helplessness.’
- ‘His words clearly expressed the helplessness of some local businesses investing abroad.’
- ‘The captain told of the anguish and helplessness experienced when injured crew are taken into the care of people outside of the navy's control.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.