1A hard or padded protective hat, various types of which are worn by soldiers, police officers, firefighters, motorcyclists, athletes, and others.
- ‘Skateboarders rarely use protective equipment such as helmets and wrist guards.’
- ‘Some wearing protective visored helmets, they gained the element of surprise by running down an alleyway towards the back of the block.’
- ‘You could wear a cowboy hat, a bowl on your head, a straw hat, a sports helmet, or a rain hat.’
- ‘Col Black said the soldiers would have been wearing helmets or berets, not floppy hats as in the photographs.’
- ‘Cyclists and motorcyclists should always wear a protective helmet and long sleeves.’
- ‘Armed with protective vests, steel helmets and guns, a group of Indian and Bangladeshi wildlife experts are tracking the magnificent but endangered Royal Bengal Tiger.’
- ‘Combat-equipped soldiers and police wearing helmets and flak jackets are going door to door in the city to enforce a mandatory evacuation at the point of a gun.’
- ‘This stuff is still dangerous, even with all the troops wearing helmets, goggles and protective vests.’
- ‘One of the main problems the NFL has is since the players wear helmets, the athletes aren't very recognizable outside of their uniforms.’
- ‘Baseball helmets routinely protect players who are hit in the head at speeds that are roughly similar to a slap shot.’
- ‘The wind beat hard at their helmets and clothes.’
- ‘The boom was loud enough to make my ears ring, even through the protective mufflers of the helmet.’
- ‘The players must be under 14 years old and must wear helmets and other protective gear.’
- ‘She stares longingly at the thick black uniforms and hard helmets hanging up in the machine bay.’
- ‘The adjustable hood fits over helmets and hats and won't hinder your vision while you're out and about.’
- ‘Armed police with their distinctive navy blue bullet-proof vests and protective helmets joined other officers for regular briefings in their mobile office van.’
- ‘The only equipment protecting you is a motorcycle helmet and a leather body suit.’
- ‘Some hard hats and helmets have a face shield attached to them.’
- ‘Paco looks up and sees several uniformed police officers wearing helmets and body armor, pointing pistols and shotguns.’
- ‘He wore a one-piece motorcycle suit and a helmet with a blacked-out visor.’
The arched upper part (galea) of the corolla in some flowers, especially those of the mint and orchid families.
3A predatory mollusk with a squat heavy shell, living in tropical and temperate seas and preying chiefly on sea urchins.
- ‘Shell cameos had been popular in the sixteenth century, but it was in the nineteenth century that the art flourished, with the helmet shell and the queen conch shell judged the most suitable for cameo carving.’
- ‘One diagram of helmets shows a simple, radially symmetrical ancestral helmet at the bottom.’
Late Middle English: from Old French, diminutive of helme, of Germanic origin; related to helm.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.