Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A film director.
- ‘The hour-long Director's Series will be a highlight this summer, profiling today's top Hollywood helmers, including Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorcese, and Clint Eastwood.’
- ‘As everyone knows, Tinseltown is all about the lawsuits and the brinkmanship of the helmers and studio heads, and who blinks first.’
- ‘Other indie helmers started trickling into the party later.’
- ‘Last year alone, Kate Winslet finalized her divorce from assistant director Jim Threapleton and shacked up with Oscar-winning helmer Sam Mendes.’
- ‘The veteran TV helmer may be directing from a script that could have been written by two trained chimpanzees, but he doesn't do much to enliven the proceedings.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.