One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The aquatic larva of a dobsonfly, often used as fishing bait.
- ‘Live bait, such as nightcrawlers or hellgrammites, can increase the odds of catching bass.’
- ‘Larvae of alderflies differ from hellgrammites in that they lack the two hooks at the end of the abdomen.’
- ‘When preparing for pupation, the hellgrammite emerges from the water and quickly moves across the earth's surface.’
- ‘And both species are more than willing to hit small lures as well as natural baits such as nightcrawlers, meal worms and hellgrammites.’
- ‘Big trout like a big mouthful, and hellgrammites are bigger than your average mayfly or stonefly nymph.’
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.