Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to Greek history, language, and culture from the death of Alexander the Great to the defeat of Cleopatra and Mark Antony by Octavian in 31 BC. During this period Greek culture flourished, spreading through the Mediterranean and into the Near East and Asia and centering on Alexandria in Egypt and Pergamum in Turkey.
- ‘The dominant language in the Hellenistic world, was Greek.’
- ‘This is the fate of all the Presocratic philosophers and of many philosophers after Aristotle, in the so-called Hellenistic period.’
- ‘They fought against a Hellenistic culture that said that the literature and practices of Judaism were fine, but don't look too Jewish.’
- ‘Most of the remains date from the Hellenistic and Roman periods.’
- ‘After his sudden death in 323 B.C., Hellenistic culture reigned here as Armenia was spilt into three kingdoms.’
- ‘Thus the new refined cuisines of the early Hellenistic period called forth memories of earlier, better times.’
- ‘Being very near to the centre of Hellenistic world, Greek remained the main language of book writing at Alexandria.’
- ‘In Greek and Hellenistic culture, we certainly see traces of it, but they are usually attributed to Egyptian or Asian influence.’
- ‘To be sure, they inhabited the same world as the Hellenistic Greeks.’
- ‘Do the Greek and Hellenistic ages really look modern?’
- ‘The cities he founded became the spring boards for the diffusion of Hellenistic culture.’
- ‘Little or no painted representations survived from the classical Greek world, though some did from the Hellenistic and Roman periods.’
- ‘This broad semantic range persisted into the Hellenistic period.’
- ‘As a genre these had a long history, which went back to the Hellenistic period in mosaic and may be connected with illustrated manuscript calendars.’
- ‘It was these men and the Greek dynasties they founded in the East who really created what we now know as Hellenistic culture.’
- ‘The majority of the sculptures on Cyprus dating from the Roman period were carved of local limestone, just as they had been in the earlier Archaic to Hellenistic periods.’
- ‘Moving the capital from Memphis to Alexandria, he brought Egypt into the mainstream of the Hellenistic world.’
- ‘That was not the case for material of the Hellenistic and Roman periods, however.’
- ‘She also has published several articles on Hellenistic and Roman history in the Encyclopedia of the Ancient World.’
- ‘In the Hellenistic era Greek was introduced and spoken along with Aramaic.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.