Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting the Bronze Age cultures of mainland Greece (c.3000–1050 BC), of which the latest period is equivalent to the Mycenaean age.
- ‘This invasion formed the start for the middle Helladic period.’
- ‘It is here that the complex blending of Minoan and native Helladic artistic traditions can be clearly observed.’
- ‘How do the comparisons within the study area enhance our understanding of an Early Helladic world-view?’
- ‘The fortifications of the citadel date to the Late Helladic period.’
- ‘The plan marks the possible connection between the two exposed portions of Middle Helladic wall.’
Early 19th century: from Greek Helladikos, from Hellas, Hellad- Greece.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.