One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large-leaved tropical American plant which bears spectacular flowers with brightly colored bracts.
Genus Heliconia, family Heliconiaceae (formerly Musaceae): many species, including the lobster claw
- ‘On many parts of the island, ash smothered all vegetation; the weight of the ashfall stripped limbs from trees and toppled smaller plants, such as banana and heliconia.’
- ‘These bats roost, head-up, inside the smooth tubes formed as young banana or heliconia leaves unfurl.’
- ‘It attacks plants like ginger, heliconia, or palms.’
- ‘A lush island, Tobago is awash with colour, from the orchids, heliconia and hibiscus tumbling over garden walls to the fruit orchards and cocoa plantations of the interior.’
- ‘You can learn about the flora of the island with a visit to Tropical Gardens of Maui, where a self-guided tour leads through plantings of palm, orchids, red and yellow heliconias, ginger, and hibiscus.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.