One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Skiing in which the skier is taken up the mountain by helicopter.
- ‘Local knowledge of the mountain range and weather patterns is essential for heli-skiing, especially on the steep faces of the northern Rockies.’
- ‘Whistler-Blackcomb is also an outstanding place to try out heli-skiing.’
- ‘Climbing guide Dave Hann wrote about heli-skiing in February.’
- ‘The company offers a variety of programs throughout the year, including summer hill-hiking, overnight getaways, day trips to the lodge for lunch, and heli-skiing.’
- ‘And Bell will be attempting to embarrass himself in as many ways as is humanly possible by trying out heli-skiing and ski-jumping.’
- ‘After three years of negotiations, the country is opening its section of the Himalayas to a foreign-owned heli-skiing operation - the first permanent commercial heli service in the world's greatest range.’
- ‘In skiing terms the Irish are drawn to practically every ski resort in the world, stretching from Aspen in Colorado to heli-skiing in the former Soviet republic of Kyrgyzstan and everywhere in between.’
- ‘The ultimate thrill is heli-skiing in remote ranges such as Canada's Rockies, but for those with less stamina there are cheaper ways to make fresh tracks.’
- ‘During this year's ski season, Ace Helicopters took more than 2,000 people heli-skiing in Nagano Prefecture.’
- ‘He's also enjoyed heli-skiing in Russia, calling that ‘not a holiday, but an expedition’.’
- ‘Fly-fishing is popular here in summer, but in winter cross-country skiing and even heli-skiing can be organised at the ranch.’
- ‘By late afternoon, we'd gotten in four runs of five thousand vertical feet each, and we were entering heli-skiing's sneaky bonus period, in which clients can keep skiing at an added cost of about $45 per run, but only if everyone is willing.’
- ‘He directed the officials to ensure that all safety measures were followed while undertaking adventure tourism and sports like paragliding, heli-skiing, river rafting and mountaineering.’
- ‘From bungee jumping to sky diving, white water rafting to rock climbing, heli-skiing to caving, you can explore New Zealand from the top of mountain peaks, the doldrums of the underworld, and everywhere in between.’
- ‘It isn't atypical in the heli-skiing industry to have a dozen or more skiers at the bottom of a run when the next group begins down.’
- ‘The organisers are Canadian Mountain Holidays, based in Banff, Alberta, whose founders built the lodge in the 1960s as a base for heli-skiing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.