One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A young female cow that has not borne a calf.
cow, bull, bullock, calf, oxView synonyms
- ‘Her calf, a heifer, will be given as a gift to another family.’
- ‘Both systems have utility in managing reproduction of beef and dairy heifers.’
- ‘On the beef side, prices for last week showed no change from the previous week for bullocks and heifers.’
- ‘Therefore, a replacement heifer must be developed at a total cost that is less than the future value.’
- ‘Dry cows and in calf heifers can easily be managed inside as maintenance requirements are relatively low and can easily be met.’
- ‘Allocating grass on a 36 or 48-hour basis will allow cows and heifers to be fully fed most of the time.’
- ‘The heifers were not treated differently after delivering the first calf.’
- ‘Some producers concentrate solely on cows, hiring other farmers to custom raise heifers.’
- ‘Successful first breeding and calving of the heifer is only part of a successful replacement strategy.’
- ‘Rows and rows of cows and heifers, their moos resounding within the school walls, were tethered to makeshift stalls.’
- ‘The comparison was with a pregnant heifer purchased in the same fall.’
- ‘The heifer beat off stiff competition from nine other heifers and eighteen bulls to win the prestigious award.’
- ‘This was costly, and the heifers often failed when the high level of feed inputs were taken out of the system.’
- ‘The heifers were kept in outdoor pens with fence-line bunks and dirt floors.’
- ‘Pregnant heifers were rotated on native range pastures during the dormant season.’
- ‘Therefore, it was impossible to replace the heifers because of the lack of grazing forages.’
- ‘It is better to fail to achieve conception with the yearling than to fail with the second calf heifer.’
- ‘They raise their own replacement heifers and sell their bull calves to another organic farmer nearby.’
- ‘The heifers were subsequently weighed at the beginning and end of the breeding season.’
- ‘Another reason for separating bulls and heifers is to prevent young heifers becoming pregnant.’
Old English heahfore, of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.