One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A young female cow that has not borne a calf.
cow, bull, bullock, calf, oxView synonyms
- ‘This was costly, and the heifers often failed when the high level of feed inputs were taken out of the system.’
- ‘The heifers were subsequently weighed at the beginning and end of the breeding season.’
- ‘The heifers were not treated differently after delivering the first calf.’
- ‘Therefore, a replacement heifer must be developed at a total cost that is less than the future value.’
- ‘Both systems have utility in managing reproduction of beef and dairy heifers.’
- ‘Another reason for separating bulls and heifers is to prevent young heifers becoming pregnant.’
- ‘Some producers concentrate solely on cows, hiring other farmers to custom raise heifers.’
- ‘Her calf, a heifer, will be given as a gift to another family.’
- ‘On the beef side, prices for last week showed no change from the previous week for bullocks and heifers.’
- ‘They raise their own replacement heifers and sell their bull calves to another organic farmer nearby.’
- ‘Pregnant heifers were rotated on native range pastures during the dormant season.’
- ‘Successful first breeding and calving of the heifer is only part of a successful replacement strategy.’
- ‘Dry cows and in calf heifers can easily be managed inside as maintenance requirements are relatively low and can easily be met.’
- ‘The heifer beat off stiff competition from nine other heifers and eighteen bulls to win the prestigious award.’
- ‘The comparison was with a pregnant heifer purchased in the same fall.’
- ‘It is better to fail to achieve conception with the yearling than to fail with the second calf heifer.’
- ‘Allocating grass on a 36 or 48-hour basis will allow cows and heifers to be fully fed most of the time.’
- ‘Rows and rows of cows and heifers, their moos resounding within the school walls, were tethered to makeshift stalls.’
- ‘The heifers were kept in outdoor pens with fence-line bunks and dirt floors.’
- ‘Therefore, it was impossible to replace the heifers because of the lack of grazing forages.’
Old English heahfore, of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.