One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Subject (a population, region, process, etc.) to a dominant political or social power.‘globalization hegemonizes and controls the urban as well as rural poor’‘Britain's rulers were quite prepared to aim at hegemonizing the Americas’no object ‘colonialism sought to hegemonize through a process of acculturation’
conquer, vanquish, defeat, crush, quell, quash, gain mastery over, gain ascendancy over, gain control of, bring under the yoke, bring to heel, bring someone to their knees, overcome, overpowerView synonyms
- ‘Since the anti-Euro arguments have been hegemonised by the racist and nationalist right, it was never going to be possible for a small new party to frame the argument differently.’
- ‘Liberal persuasion is nothing but a distorted communication and acceptance of the views of those who have the power to hegemonize in the realm of knowledge/power.’
- ‘The Labour Party hegemonised much of the left, talking left in opposition and draped with the slogans of CND.’
- ‘There is never any occasion for colonial arrogance or Eurocentrism or hegemonizing the discourse of the Other, for being judgmental or elitist.’
- ‘Furthermore, political and civil rights of minorities need to be as much respected as those of the vociferous majority which has hegemonized the state.’
- ‘The vested interest groups brainwash and hegemonize mass consciousness in the name of their parties or religion to keep them dormant/depoliticized.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the party that has hegemonised the left vote for almost a century in America has nothing to offer on these issues.’
- ‘In a hegemonized social order, prevailing socioeconomic and political arrangements are widely viewed as just or tolerable; in effect, dissipating potential opposition.’
- ‘What if the powerful countries where these corporations are based make use of the power of these corporations to hegemonize, to colonize by another name?’
- ‘There are movements that clearly have a leftward dynamic even when hegemonised at first by neoliberal leaders.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.