One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The loud, harsh cry of a donkey or mule.
- ‘One particular group of males perched behind us had particularly irritating mating calls, responding to the incessant female cries with various forms of donkey-like hee-haws.’
- ‘To the northwest, the donkey will hee-haw, hee-haw, hee-haw for maybe fifteen seconds.’
- ‘She began laughing in an obnoxious way, sounding like a mix between a donkey hee-haw and a pig snort.’
- ‘She imitates his nasal hee-haw very loudly and we look on, aghast.’
- ‘He let out a hee-haw of pain as we dragged him on his stomach away from the hole.’
- ‘This set Dave off so badly that he started up the hee-haw again.’
- 1.1US informal as modifier Relating to or denoting unsophisticated rural humor and attitudes.‘hee-haw manners’
- ‘When the national media deigned to pay any attention to it, it was invariably with snobbish disdain, hee-haw chuckling at the hillbilly music of athletics.’
- ‘This hee-haw fellow resonated with youngsters.’
- ‘This seemed to strike a funny cord in Jake, because he began laughing in an almost hee-haw kind of cackling.’
- ‘This is a hee-haw sitcom with a supporting cast of caricatures.’
- ‘Those who look past the stereotypes about the oil-rich hee-haw Texans coming to town will see a strong political conservative focus in the new administration, determinedly applied.’
- ‘Little things start to annoy them - the height of the rough, the same old lunch menu, the hee-haw laugh of a certain fellow member.’
- ‘If you aren't prepared for a big dose of early-60's style hee-haw music, don't buy this album.’
- ‘The hee-haw stuff is also mixed with earnest stuff: ‘I'm always amazed by our salespeople's acumen.’’
Make the loud, harsh cry of a donkey or mule.
neigh, whinnyView synonyms
- ‘My memories of him will be as the little chatterbox, cracking the one liners, hee-hawing uncontrollably.’
- ‘The gang laughed and hee-hawed, stomped and danced and chanted a good-night prayer.’
Early 19th century: imitative.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.