One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or considered in terms of pleasant (or unpleasant) sensations.
- ‘Your top character traits are those that allow you to achieve meaningful happiness, instead of mere hedonic pleasure.’
- ‘People view hedonic versus practical goods differently in terms of time and money spent to acquire them.’
- ‘Other psychologists have proposed theories to account for the changes in behavior that take place when hedonic events follow the behavior.’
- ‘And it is the contrast between that hedonic state and the expectation of reward when the discriminative stimuli appear, that determines the relative value of those stimuli.’
- ‘Is there a way out of the hedonic treadmill, the Western model of craving and attachment?’
Mid 17th century: from Greek hēdonikos, from hēdonē ‘pleasure’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.