One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An apparatus for copying documents by the use of a gelatin plate that receives an impression of the master copy.
- ‘It would have to have been done using hectographs, mimeographs, or a print shop.’
- ‘It spans a period of 50 years and covers a total of approximately 850 catalogue numbers divided between the three traditional graphic techniques of etching, lithography and woodcut as well as hundreds of what are known as hectographs.’
- ‘We actually made our own hectograph ink, with hectograph powder and sugar, and water.’
- ‘There were a few motorized hectographs, but I never saw one.’
- ‘Sometimes, to get around the single use problem, hectograph ink would be applied to a very light canvas or heavier paper so it could be re-inked and used over and over.’
- ‘Gelatin is also used for making court-plaster, hectographs, for coating pills, and for estimating the amount of tannin contained in a drug or preparation.’
- ‘This hectograph pencil is excellent for making clean paper stencils on tracing paper.’
- ‘It is also known to print hectograph masters directly, such as by crash imprinting, using a hectograph printing ink comprising a hot-melt wax composition containing undissolved dyestuff.’
- ‘You then place this on the hectograph, and rub it to transfer the image to the gelatin.’
- ‘If ditto machines were primitive, hectographs were downright prehistoric.’
- ‘Carbon copies, hectographs, and mimeographs, the methods used in the mid-twentieth century, required special care and materials.’
- ‘To print on the hectograph, make a ‘master’ by drawing or writing on paper with a hectograph pencil (may be purchased at an office supply store for about fifteen cents).’
- ‘If you need a transfer for these types of designs, you can use a hectograph pencil to trace the designs onto tracing paper.’
- ‘Those working underground had acquired a hectograph upon which they printed up to 250 copies of the group's leaflets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.