One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The manufacture of large, heavy articles and materials in bulk.
- ‘Second, several studies in recent decades have pointed to a neglect of traditional manufacturing and heavy industry as a problem.’
- ‘State-owned enterprise and foreign multinationals led the way with large-scale heavy industry.’
- ‘He relaxed press censorship, slowed the rate of farm collectivization, and reduced investment in heavy industry in favour of the manufacture of consumer goods.’
- ‘Some are even penetrating the most traditional male bastions, such as heavy industry.’
- ‘And it has freed many of us from work in heavy industry, where we generated worse environmental problems.’
- ‘Germany used its rich iron and coal resources to develop heavy industry, such as iron and steel manufacture.’
- ‘Railway engine manufacture was Glasgow's second largest heavy industry, after shipbuilding.’
- ‘Since independence, there has been a decline in agriculture and heavy industry and growth in the financial and service sectors.’
- ‘They haven't had the inventory buildup you've seen in heavy industry or high-tech equipment.’
- ‘To many, the army must have seemed like the opportunity of a lifetime and areas dominated by heavy industry and mining provided a disproportionate number of recruits.’
- ‘In line with Soviet precedent, priority in investment was given to heavy industry, followed by light industries, with agriculture last.’
- ‘But for heavy industry, the ability to finally pass on higher materials costs has been a boon.’
- ‘Mining, shipbuilding and heavy industry had always ensured the man's place in society, but prosperity transformed the region beyond recognition.’
- ‘North Sea gas, oil and the decline of heavy industry cut demand for coal, and 223 pits closed between 1964 and 1970.’
- ‘There is a tendency to look upon industry, and particularly heavy industry, as environmental ‘criminals’.’
- ‘People working in heavy industry are also exposed to risk from chemicals and unprotected machinery.’
- ‘Lung disease is now Britain's biggest killer and is a particular problem in South Yorkshire due to the legacy of steel, mining and heavy industry as well as high levels of smoking.’
- ‘Moreover, the railroads could not be insulated from the serious disruption of heavy industry, a primary customer sector.’
- ‘Ukrainian workers are also aware of the fate of heavy industry and mining in the former East Germany and Poland, where hundreds of thousands lost their jobs.’
- ‘North Korea inherited the bulk of heavy industry when the country was partitioned in 1945.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.