One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The manufacture of large, heavy articles and materials in bulk.
- ‘In line with Soviet precedent, priority in investment was given to heavy industry, followed by light industries, with agriculture last.’
- ‘North Sea gas, oil and the decline of heavy industry cut demand for coal, and 223 pits closed between 1964 and 1970.’
- ‘Some are even penetrating the most traditional male bastions, such as heavy industry.’
- ‘Since independence, there has been a decline in agriculture and heavy industry and growth in the financial and service sectors.’
- ‘People working in heavy industry are also exposed to risk from chemicals and unprotected machinery.’
- ‘Ukrainian workers are also aware of the fate of heavy industry and mining in the former East Germany and Poland, where hundreds of thousands lost their jobs.’
- ‘But for heavy industry, the ability to finally pass on higher materials costs has been a boon.’
- ‘They haven't had the inventory buildup you've seen in heavy industry or high-tech equipment.’
- ‘He relaxed press censorship, slowed the rate of farm collectivization, and reduced investment in heavy industry in favour of the manufacture of consumer goods.’
- ‘Second, several studies in recent decades have pointed to a neglect of traditional manufacturing and heavy industry as a problem.’
- ‘Moreover, the railroads could not be insulated from the serious disruption of heavy industry, a primary customer sector.’
- ‘Mining, shipbuilding and heavy industry had always ensured the man's place in society, but prosperity transformed the region beyond recognition.’
- ‘Germany used its rich iron and coal resources to develop heavy industry, such as iron and steel manufacture.’
- ‘Railway engine manufacture was Glasgow's second largest heavy industry, after shipbuilding.’
- ‘Lung disease is now Britain's biggest killer and is a particular problem in South Yorkshire due to the legacy of steel, mining and heavy industry as well as high levels of smoking.’
- ‘State-owned enterprise and foreign multinationals led the way with large-scale heavy industry.’
- ‘To many, the army must have seemed like the opportunity of a lifetime and areas dominated by heavy industry and mining provided a disproportionate number of recruits.’
- ‘North Korea inherited the bulk of heavy industry when the country was partitioned in 1945.’
- ‘And it has freed many of us from work in heavy industry, where we generated worse environmental problems.’
- ‘There is a tendency to look upon industry, and particularly heavy industry, as environmental ‘criminals’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.