One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, strong, heavily built horse of a type or breed used for draft work.
- ‘Equestrian entries for the show are extremely good overall and heavy horses, always a popular feature with showgoers, have reached record levels.’
- ‘Classes include Highland cattle for the first time, and in the horse section, shires and heavy horses will be on parade before the judges, as well as Welsh mountain ponies.’
- ‘Many of the picadors' horses were injured in the early days, so these heavy horses now wear protection.’
- ‘Ernie's idea was that we try and recreate the idea and get other wagons, heavy horses, gigs and traps involved to make it a really special day.’
- ‘Among many other attractions are vintage tractors, ploughs and equipment, a handicrafts marquee and heavy horses.’
- ‘Sunday is jam-packed with even more activities, including the showjumping and events featuring miniature and heavy horses.’
- ‘Mr Read said the show was growing every year and offering the public entertainment and a taste of rural England - everything from forestry and axe-throwing displays to heavy horses, livestock and locally-produced food.’
- ‘A major feature of the 189Os revealed by the indices in Figure 5 is the reduction in the prices of omnibus horses relative to the prices of heavy horses from 1893 onward.’
- ‘Attractions also included show jumping, miniature and heavy horses, vintage tractors, rare breeds and numerous stalls - staged by charities and other organisations - and trade stands.’
- ‘The hot dog and crusty pie stalls did a roaring trade as the crowds settled down to watch working hunter classes, the heavy horses section and some impressive show jumping.’
- ‘The ponies had by now been replaced in the ring by the tractors' forebears, those hairy-hoofed gentlemen of farming, heavy horses, all pulling colourful carts from bygone days.’
- ‘Visitors can watch the 30 working heavy horses working the field with implements, a typical farming scene from 60 years ago.’
- ‘The three-day show also includes show jumping, a heavy horse musical drive by 16 drays and a parade by the New Forest Hounds.’
- ‘Champion heavy horse was a brood mare shown by show regulars P and W Bedford, of York.’
- ‘The museum's Horses at Work section provides visitors with a chance to see heavy horses at work and gives rides on horse drawn vehicles.’
- ‘Sometimes a big, heavy horse can benefit physically from being gelded, but my horse isn't like that.’
- ‘Then out of nowhere came the sound of a cart being pulled by heavy horses.’
- ‘During our eccentric farming decade, we tried to reproduce for interest's sake the pre-war ways of running a 40-acre holding with only heavy horses to work the land, and no modern agrochemicals.’
- ‘There will also be dog and pet shows, trade stands, vintage tractors, miniature and heavy horses, Morris dancers, children's rides, stalls and a falconry display.’
- ‘He intends to win the heavy horse event hands down.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.