One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The protein subunit that, as one of a pair, makes up the major part of an immunoglobulin molecule.
- ‘Each antibody molecule is composed of four subunits - two identical heavy chains and two identical light chains.’
- ‘The light chain is cleaved from the heavy chain during or after secretion into the circulation.’
- ‘All immunoglobulin molecules contain a light chain and a heavy chain.’
- ‘One of the tests for antibodies in the dromedary blood seemed to show an error: in addition to normal four-chain antibodies, it indicated the presence of simpler antibodies composed solely of a pair of heavy chains.’
- ‘Therefore, some of the material near the light-chain band was derived from the irradiated heavy chains.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.