One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Feeling depressed or melancholy.
melancholy, sad, sorrowful, melancholic, mournful, lugubrious, gloomy, pensiveView synonyms
- ‘She focuses on the dreadful thing that was done to her, and her heavy-hearted decision not to complain to anyone in authority about it.’
- ‘Had there been more of the latter and less of the dreary, heavy-hearted stuff, we might have been talking about an R'n'B classic.’
- ‘The film, despite dealing with a tremendously sorrowful subject, offers more than heavy-hearted investigation of the world's most grief-stricken areas.’
- ‘Seth felt a little heavy-hearted as he got down from the plane.’
- ‘Faith is far more satisfying, with Smith's vague, doomy lyrics now reflected by appropriately heavy-hearted music.’
- ‘Morrissey and his other heavy-hearted chums in The Smiths famously posed outside it to promote a 1987 single.’
- ‘And Kieran, heavy-hearted at his lord's unhappiness, lay sleepless at his side.’
- ‘Bob Wainwright heard it and felt unaccountably heavy-hearted.’
- ‘Once the door was shut and Sally was left alone, she slumped in her chair and let out a heavy-hearted sigh.’
- ‘That's one of the most heavy-hearted things I ever heard.’
- ‘Loving, like giving, is done for own sake, not for the sake of its consequences, and heavy-hearted love is a sacrifice that demands sacrifices in return.’
- ‘As always, I will have a great feeling of elation to fly such a magnificent machine - we call it riding the rocket - but I will be very heavy-hearted, and feel a sense of history.’
- ‘‘We came here heavy-hearted, but now we can smile, even in the face of the continued crime, as one of our own is safe and back home with his family,’ the smiling student, who did not give his name, said.’
- ‘Actually, she has been very cheerless, she comes home from school quite heavy-hearted.’
- ‘Two days later, still quite heavy-hearted from a recent breakup, I went to a Halloween party in Brooklyn.’
- ‘Y'know, this stuff may be in other threads, but I'm frankly too heavy-hearted to read them.’
- ‘It'll feel like something heavy-hearted, but definitely something that's helped me grow in more ways than one.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.