Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Equipment or devices used to provide heat, especially to a building.‘baseboard heating’
- ‘Using a complex system of heating equipment, special growing lamps and automated watering systems the gang had established a hi-tech operation.’
- ‘Installing heating and cooling equipment that can use multiple fuels provides operational flexibility.’
- ‘She estimates their average yearly bills for heating and electricity at about €800, including all the standing charges.’
- ‘Workers were paid only for their output, and employers did not have to bear the cost of lighting and heating, nor provide space for the machines which were used.’
- ‘The next day, Henrietta High School's classed were closed, due to the lack of heating in the building.’
- ‘You have to ask hard questions and there has to be a long-term and much more wide-ranging approach than simply providing double glazing or heating.’
- ‘The church provides the hall and heating free of charge.’
- ‘The war-time hangars were not suited for comfort, and it was not until 1956 that combustion heating was provided in the classroom.’
- ‘The heating was provided not for the comfort of the prisoners but to create a better setting for the evaporation of gas.’
- ‘He wrapped up warmly to enter the building as there was no heating in the building!’
- ‘Manufacturers claim the extra insulation of plants cuts building heating and cooling costs and gives a longer roof life.’
- ‘You may already have a humidifier built into your heating and air conditioning system.’
- ‘Using the products as a microheater provides a precise heating device, says Amit Das, director of product development.’
- ‘Essential filtration and heating equipment had to be installed at the 20-year-old pool.’
- ‘Since it was established in 1977, it has grown to become one of the region's leading suppliers of heating, ventilation and air conditioning services.’
- ‘Enhanced lighting and heating systems will provide a warmer feel, and outside the station will also be spruced up and painted.’
- ‘According to O'Donnell, the even feeling provided by radiant floor heating is the most common reason people choose the system.’
- ‘He added that many hospitals have closed because they had insufficient heating and equipment.’
- ‘The blocks will then be rendered and the house, which will become the family home of Tomas O'Leary, an architect, should have little or no heating bills.’
- ‘Floodlights mean the range will also be in use throughout the winter when the welcome luxury of heating will be provided in the bays.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.