One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device or substance for absorbing excessive or unwanted heat.
- ‘Either way, the gauze, acting as a heat sink, removes the thermal energy from the system so that the temperature above or below it is not sufficient to ignite the gas.’
- ‘The Flower Cooler comes with a fan that attaches to the case itself rather than the heat sink, and hovers a centimetre or so above the fins to ensure maximum airflow.’
- ‘Cooled soil under a building serves as a heat sink.’
- ‘The most familiar, of course, is the lowly heat sink / fan combo most of us hear when we power up our PCs.’
- ‘The heat sink may be configured to be removable and replaceable.’
- ‘The expanding universe is quite an effective heat sink.’
- ‘Every computer contains a device known as a heat sink.’
- ‘The arctic ice cap will be gone or nearly gone, turning the icy reflective northern ice cap into a massive heat sink of water.’
- ‘Judging by the small size of the heat sink and fan on the processor, this is a fairly cool running processor.’
- ‘If the mounting mechanism for those devices is not very sturdy, the heavy heat sink can still fall off because the mounting mechanism breaks off.’
- ‘You can install a larger fan and a spreader to force more air through your heat sink, and maybe cut down noise at the same time.’
- ‘The regenerator is connected to a heat source and a heat sink that causes the helium to expand and contract.’
- ‘The newer 3D cards can generate a terrific amount of heat, and should have a heat sink and possibly a fan mounted on them.’
- ‘Each company uses the same basic method to cool its PCs: custom-designed heat pipes and a case that acts like a big heat sink.’
- ‘By transporting the commodity in a box that had a heat shield rather than a heat sink, it had been possible to do away with the need for refrigeration and storage at low temperatures.’
- ‘Cooling towers, though ominous looking, are a quite conventional technology that allows us to use the atmosphere as a heat sink.’
- ‘I also appreciated the aesthetics of the heat sink.’
- ‘It is almost as effective as the thermal paste at helping heat transfer between the heat sink and the processor.’
- ‘The clip on the heat sink is also a bit of a downfall.’
- ‘Once ionised, the molecules will flow across the surface of the heat sink from the positive to negative electrode, cooling the surface.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.