Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device that transfers heat from a colder area to a hotter area by using mechanical energy, as in a refrigerator.
- ‘A heat pump is simply an air conditioner with the ability to reverse the flow of refrigerant, and gas furnaces are simply more efficient than air conditioners.’
- ‘I installed wall heaters, an electric water heater, dryer and range, but asked for help with a mechanical heat pump.’
- ‘You need electricity to run the heat pump, but it's very energy efficient.’
- ‘The building also uses a ground-source heat pump connected to three 1,500-foot wells, which meets all the building's heating and cooling needs.’
- ‘Heating and cooling are supplied by a combined heat pump and chilling device.’
- ‘Aided by a heat pump which raises it to a usable temperature, this device accounts for about half of the hot water energy.’
- ‘Not all thermostats work with all types of furnaces and heaters; a forced-air thermostat, for example, won't necessarily work with a heat pump.’
- ‘Winter heat will be provided by a water-source heat pump and a generator driven by a restored water wheel, with an oil-fired Rayburn as back-up.’
- ‘A heat pump converts this low grade energy to hot water which is then used for heating.’
- ‘Dig a trench and run the tubing, put in a heat pump and eliminate electrical heating demand one house at a time.’
- ‘Schedule an annual tune-up for your heat pump, furnace or boiler.’
- ‘They can range from the simple sew-it-yourself, install-it-yourself window quilt systems up through complex, passive, solar gain controls intended to turn your house into an efficient heat pump.’
- ‘The electric charges may activate a thermoelectric heat pump, as the hornet is flying outside, to maintain a temperature differential between the hornet and its surroundings.’
- ‘Through this process, ocean circulation acts like a heat pump and determines our climate to a great extent.’
- ‘If you have a heat pump or a heating system that also has central air conditioning, the outside of the duct insulation needs to be wrapped to prevent condensation.’
- ‘Do not manually set back a heat pump's thermostat at night.’
- ‘If a heat pump is added to an electric furnace, the heat pump coil can usually be placed on the cold side of the furnace for greatest efficiency.’
- ‘Typically, water is cycled through an underground pipe, and the heat in the surrounding soil warms or cools the heat pump's refrigerant.’
- ‘Each apartment is equipped with a compact ventilation unit with heat recovery, as well as a small heat pump for air heating and a boiler for hot water.’
- ‘I bought a wall-mounted heat pump for $5 at a garage sale, and we moved in just after Thanksgiving.’
heat pump/ˈhēt ˌpəmp/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.