Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Excessively anxious about one's health.‘a health-obsessed perfectionist’
valetudinarian, valetudinary, malingering, neurotic, obsessed with one's health, preoccupied with ill health, anxious about one's healthView synonyms
- ‘The centuries-old Hindu theory of happy life and preventative medicine was suppressed under British colonisation but, in the 50 years since India asserted its independence, has enjoyed a huge resurgence and - ironically - much interest from the health-obsessed West.’
- ‘The health-obsessed new regime wants to measure kids' height, weight and waistlines to make sure they are morally-upstanding citizens-to-be who have resisted the temptation to gorge on evil junk food.’
- ‘The group actually advises Americans to "light up, giving a filter-tipped finger, as it were, to a health-obsessed government."’
- ‘In these health-obsessed days, it is barely possible to pick up a daily newspaper without reading that Britain is working too hard and that thousands - perhaps millions - of us are suffering from work-induced stress.’
- ‘The day after Easter a guy in my office brought in a giant shopping bag full of candy that his kid had collected at church, but had been forbidden to eat by his health-obsessed parents.’
- ‘They wouldn't dare make such an assertion in today's puritanical, health-obsessed Ireland, where it would most likely provoke moral outrage and an advertising ban.’
- ‘The event sponsors, who clearly buy in to today's health-obsessed ideology, forbid participants from doing drugs, drinking alcohol or smoking.’
- ‘In our health-obsessed age the revelation that young people think little about cancer has generated handwringing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.