One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A forestay, especially in a small vessel.
- ‘The most common at-sea rigging failures we observe tend to be shrouds or headstays failing due to metal fatigue.’
- ‘But I realize twin headstays are not satisfactory, since when used for only one headsail the stay will sag and cause the luff to be too loose.’
- ‘The intermediates and headstays seem to break the most, and fortunately neither usually cause a broken mast.’
- ‘First, the second headstay is not really important because of the wire luff of the storm jib.’
- ‘Prior art headstays carried a single luff bread or a luff rope in the forward edge of the jib.’
- ‘We have the machinery to do swaging on stainless steel wire for headstays, backstarys, standing rigging, etc.’
- ‘Also, boats with furling systems or grooved headstays must have an alternate means of attaching the heavy weather jib.’
- ‘Split drum units are available for quick change from furling headstays to double grooved headstays for those of you who want the best of both the cruising and racing configurations.’
- ‘If the tack line feeds to a fitting foreword of the headstay the sail must go outside the headstay.’
- ‘Also remember that a looser rig tension makes the headstay sag, allowing the jib to be fuller.’
- ‘If the headstay is not long enough, pulling on any backstay will over flatten the jib and this is very slow.’
- ‘In Shannon's ‘Scutter’ rig, the inner of the two headstays carries a 140-percent genoa on a furler, and this is the headsail you use in lower to medium wind ranges.’
- ‘All new 5/16' stainless steel stays were installed, with the addition of double headstays.’
- ‘The measurement for an average lead position is 2.6m from headstay at the deck to the middle of the jib car.’
- ‘When you tension the backstay so the headstay becomes straight, the mast will then have prebend in it.’
- ‘The headstay goes to the forward hole and the lower unit is installed in one of the after holes.’
- ‘Most have cables coming out of a through-deck block assembly and the headstays just attach to the cables with clevis pins.’
- ‘The extrusions and the halyard swivel remain on your headstay, you do not need to buy these parts.’
- ‘A tight headstay is achieved with tight shrouds, tight backstay, and minimum headstay length.’
- ‘I think you need two entirely separate headstays to see any increase in the strength of the system.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.