A small deep-bodied freshwater fish of the Amazon region, popular in aquariums. It swims and feeds at an oblique angle with the head down.
- ‘Despite all this the headstander was my favorite fish, and the last troublemaker to leave the tank.’
- ‘Marbled headstanders are not rare, but they're only available at certain times of the year, so you don't tend to see them for sale very often.’
- ‘The most popular are the marbled and the spotted headstander.’
- ‘The headstanders of the family Anostomidae definitely number among this type of characin, and need to be handled in much the same way as a territorial cichlid.’
- ‘This large group of fish are from Africa and central America some are shoaling species, which is 6 or more they include hatchetfish, pencilfish and tetras, headstanders and piranhas.’