One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The part of a bridle or halter that fits around a horse's head.
- ‘Make sure the headstall is properly adjusted for a long comfortable safe wear.’
- ‘‘Horses have to be weighed a minimum of 45 minutes before their race with no gear on but for a bridle or headstall,’ Leigh Jordan of Racing Victoria told us.’
- ‘The No Bit Bridle is made from strong polyester webbing, with a soft padding to the nose, poll and headstall.’
- ‘The following are advisable: an extra saddle pad, cinch, off billet, reins and snaps, headstall with bit, and protective boots for your horse's legs.’
- ‘When teaching the Arabians to rear up and walk on their back legs, he placed an assistant on each side holding a long rein attached to the headstall.’
- ‘I put the saddle on the stall door and hung the headstall on the saddle horn.’
- ‘The animal was tied by a tight leather headstall to two of the captor's warhorses.’
- ‘He backed Azmur up, and reached back to grasp Mina's headstall.’
- ‘Just as I was putting the bit in his mouth, and the headstall over his ears, I heard the familiar sounds of an approaching horse.’
- ‘If you think about it, the aggression of a young man who hasn't been mellowed by marriage is more familiar to most of us, these days, than the willfulness of a horse without a headstall.’
- ‘Biondello faithfully reports that the chief means of controlling the horse - the headstall, or bridle - having been ‘restrained to keep him from stumbling, hath been often burst and [is] now repaired with knots.’’
- ‘Kat hauled the Australian saddle off its rack and set it on the floor near Jazz, then retrieved his headstall off the far wall.’
- ‘When he returned he had an almost new barrel saddle and headstall.’
- ‘Wander toward the back of the shop, where craftsmen bent over worktables make saddles and spur straps, horse headstalls, and leather bags.’
- ‘The mare pranced eagerly, proudly showing off the bright blue saddle pad and headstall.’
2another term for headpiece (sense 3)
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.