Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
verb[WITH OBJECT]usually be headquartered
Provide (an organization) with headquarters at a specified location.‘UNESCO is headquartered in Paris’
- ‘West Limerick Community Radio will be headquartered in Newcastle West, in a building owned by Shannon Development.’
- ‘Rock the Vote is headquartered in Los Angeles with an office in Washington, D.C.’
- ‘They're on their way to the International Atomic Energy Agency, which is headquartered in Austria.’
- ‘IAP is presently headquartered in a nondescript strip shopping mall in Richardson, Texas.’
- ‘Its European calling card business has been headquartered in Dublin since February 2000.’
- ‘I learned that while we're here in New York, my department is headquartered in Los Angeles.’
- ‘A company which is headquartered in Basingstoke has the technology to stamp out the killer superbug MRSA.’
- ‘Celebrating its 150th anniversary, the Company is headquartered in Rochester, New York.’
- ‘The principal business houses are headquartered in the city, even though many have moved to malls on its periphery.’
- ‘The station will be headquartered in Newcastle West and will be the biggest licensed community radio station in the country.’
- ‘It is now headquartered in Amsterdam, thanks to a million-dollar award from the Dutch government and the City of Amsterdam’
- ‘There you can learn how it came to be that the Catholic Church is headquartered in a small town in the Pacific Northwest.’
- ‘The paper is likely to be headquartered in Edinburgh.’
- ‘For example, the European Union is headquartered in Brussels.’
- ‘Ultimately it's a decision for News Corporation as to where they're headquartered.’
- ‘Hardie's has actually been headquartered in the tax-friendly Netherlands since 1996.’
- ‘Many of them are headquartered in the Shapingba District, where higher education institutions are concentrated.’
- ‘That is where the U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority is headquartered.’
- ‘The company is headquartered in Cashel but has a manufacturing facility in Newbridge, Co Kildare.’
- ‘Sharman Networks is headquartered in Australia and incorporated in the Pacific island nation of Vanuatu.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.