One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pair of earphones joined by a band placed over the head, for listening to audio signals such as music or speech.
- ‘The only reason I mention this is because I actually fell asleep while listening to it on headphones.’
- ‘Here you'll find headphone and mic sockets along with an analogue volume wheel.’
- ‘You put on a pair of headphones and you get the same experience as with a great pair of speakers.’
- ‘He was discovered in the back of the car wearing headphones still playing music from a mini disc player.’
- ‘Wearing nothing but a pair of headphones, the youth was fortunate to survive the collision.’
- ‘At the left you'll find two USB 2.0 ports, an S-Video port, a 56Kbps modem socket, and headphone and mic ports.’
- ‘She then leaned down to the bag at her feat and brought out a small laptop and a pair of headphones.’
- ‘Just climb in, don the headphones, grab the microphone, select a song and you're off!’
- ‘One headphone on, one headphone off, we recorded late into that evening as we were ‘on a roll’.’
- ‘We have agreed that he should buy a pair of headphones as soon as possible.’
- ‘Playing these games hours on end is akin to banging your head on the wall, or listening to pop on headphones day and night.’
- ‘It resembles a small one-sided headphone with a small boom microphone, and comes in a bluish-grey and silver metallic colour.’
- ‘At one end is the microphone and headphone socket, at the other the AAA battery hatch and the covered USB port.’
- ‘Aside from the headphone jack on the side and a taped over DC power jack, the only other opening was a side door.’
- ‘The results are good, particularly if you're listening on headphones, as we were.’
- ‘All that is left is for you to do is get a suitably cumbersome pair of cushioned headphones to complete the look.’
- ‘He traded a pair of headphones for a syringe from a fellow prisoner who was a diabetic.’
- ‘She handed Mike a pair of headphones that were plugged into the front of the computer.’
- ‘We preferred the headphones as music on the loudspeaker didn't sound too good to us.’
- ‘We tried it with a pair of ear-muff styled headphones and we still had to have it at full volume to really hear it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.