One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pair of earphones joined by a band placed over the head, for listening to audio signals such as music or speech.
- ‘Wearing nothing but a pair of headphones, the youth was fortunate to survive the collision.’
- ‘He traded a pair of headphones for a syringe from a fellow prisoner who was a diabetic.’
- ‘He was discovered in the back of the car wearing headphones still playing music from a mini disc player.’
- ‘You put on a pair of headphones and you get the same experience as with a great pair of speakers.’
- ‘At one end is the microphone and headphone socket, at the other the AAA battery hatch and the covered USB port.’
- ‘We preferred the headphones as music on the loudspeaker didn't sound too good to us.’
- ‘Just climb in, don the headphones, grab the microphone, select a song and you're off!’
- ‘Aside from the headphone jack on the side and a taped over DC power jack, the only other opening was a side door.’
- ‘We tried it with a pair of ear-muff styled headphones and we still had to have it at full volume to really hear it.’
- ‘It resembles a small one-sided headphone with a small boom microphone, and comes in a bluish-grey and silver metallic colour.’
- ‘She handed Mike a pair of headphones that were plugged into the front of the computer.’
- ‘One headphone on, one headphone off, we recorded late into that evening as we were ‘on a roll’.’
- ‘The only reason I mention this is because I actually fell asleep while listening to it on headphones.’
- ‘Here you'll find headphone and mic sockets along with an analogue volume wheel.’
- ‘All that is left is for you to do is get a suitably cumbersome pair of cushioned headphones to complete the look.’
- ‘At the left you'll find two USB 2.0 ports, an S-Video port, a 56Kbps modem socket, and headphone and mic ports.’
- ‘We have agreed that he should buy a pair of headphones as soon as possible.’
- ‘She then leaned down to the bag at her feat and brought out a small laptop and a pair of headphones.’
- ‘Playing these games hours on end is akin to banging your head on the wall, or listening to pop on headphones day and night.’
- ‘The results are good, particularly if you're listening on headphones, as we were.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.