One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A method of restraining someone by holding an arm firmly around their head, especially as a hold in wrestling.
- ‘Almost imperceptibly, one pair's dancing morphed into wrestling, embraces turned into headlocks and back into eyelash-batting flirtation just in time for another couple's dancing to begin a similar cycle.’
- ‘Why don't we practice chokeholds, leg grabs, headlocks and body holds like wrestlers and judo fighters?’
- ‘Without any outward warning she caught the older woman in a mammoth of a headlock.’
- ‘The two engaged in a small playful game of wrestling-meets-tag, taking turns putting each other in headlocks and getting tickled.’
- ‘I loosened the headlock I had on her just enough for her to catch her breath.’
- ‘Instead of walking out of the door he turned around and jumped on the bed and put Meg in a headlock so her face was in his armpit.’
- ‘He grabbed me from behind when I walked away and wrestled me into a headlock.’
- ‘Bret thinks that Calgary was the only place where a move like a headlock or an Abdominal Stretch could get over.’
- ‘She pulled out his keys and made to hand them to him, when he grabbed her in a headlock and flipped her down the steps.’
- ‘The days of beer-bellied grapplers applying a headlock or an armbar for five or six minutes are long gone.’
- ‘Dante caught one in a headlock and landed a straight kick to another's jaw.’
- ‘James grabbed Will's arm and wrestled his way from the headlock, holding Will in his big strong arms.’
- ‘Then, quick as lightning, he had her in a headlock and gave her a noogie.’
- ‘I muttered, catching my arm around behind her neck and hugging her before giving her a headlock and a noogie.’
- ‘The coaching will include ground fighting and tactics, escaping different headlocks and floor restraints.’
- ‘Two kids were even caught in a wrestling match with a teacher, trying to take down the man with a series of headlocks and full nelsons.’
- ‘I felt the immediate strength of his arms as he firmly held me in a headlock against his chest, ruffling my hair roughly.’
- ‘In one match, I finally grabbed him in a headlock and asked if we were going to wrestle, or what.’
- ‘The player had the general manager in a headlock at one point, relentlessly giving him noogies.’
- ‘I'd like to see this guy perform different moves besides the polish hammer, headlocks, punches and kicks.’
2A cattle stanchion.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.