One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A performer or act that is the star attraction on a program and typically performs last.
- ‘They motored their way behind the luxuriant tour buses of the headliners, and thought, privately, that they were living in a dream.’
- ‘The headliners tonight need no introduction and the choice of venue seemed to have put them back where they belong.’
- ‘You don't even know who the headliner is, and there's no presentation in that.’
- ‘While the star headliner might tour with the show, smaller parts were often cast city-by-city.’
- ‘It's a photograph of all those warm up acts you've grumbled through as you wait for the headliner to take the concert stage.’
- ‘He was a vaudeville headliner of growing stature when he went into radio.’
- ‘Many pop and rock headliners have established themselves as good actors, even if they didn't become box office stars in the movies.’
- ‘The opening acts get more playing time than the headliner?’
- ‘After all that, we finally got to the headliners.’
- ‘The eastern, post-Toronto leg of the tour will feature headliners The Unicorns and regional acts.’
- ‘The Scissor Sisters will follow Saturday night's headliners, Pet Shop Boys, in what promises to be one of the best events ever arranged by Rob da Bank.’
- ‘The audience waited for another half an hour or so after the end of the performance of the supporting act, before the headliners of the evening appeared on stage.’
- ‘If they find out you're planning to up-stage the headliners, they'll zap you double-quick.’
- ‘Still, it's not everyday that a rock group performs a concert with an opening act that named themselves after one of the headliner's albums.’
- ‘But the reason many of the headliners are where they are today is because they presented a different spin on an old concept.’
- ‘Contrary to the usual gig fodder of a support act and headliners, these legends of the indie scene have decided to do something different and head out on a joint tour.’
- ‘In fact, he's upstaged the headliner a few times.’
- ‘With a limited number of slots on Main Stage, a lot of the musicians seen on side stages would be headliners anywhere else.’
- ‘It gives comedy fans something substantial to chow down on before the headliner hits the stage.’
- ‘‘Yeah, and the irony is that the headliner is supposed to be the main attraction,’ agrees Lawrence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.