One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chief public representative of a country, such as a president or monarch, who may also be the head of government.
- ‘As long as the head of state is a president who is faithful to the constitution, fascism is harmless.’
- ‘The protest was directed against the policies of the heads of state gathered together in the nearby town of Evian.’
- ‘A republic is a form of government where the head of state is not a monarch.’
- ‘However, the resolution was only advisory and did not oblige the head of state to do anything.’
- ‘The head of state is not the president but the supreme leader, who is chosen from among Shiite clerics.’
- ‘Its also probably worth remembering that we do not vote for a head of state.’
- ‘They all described how the Queen alone could be replaced by a head of state directly elected by the people.’
- ‘The president is the head of state and is elected by popular vote for a four-year term.’
- ‘Individual heads of state must bear the responsibility for their actions.’
- ‘Why do we insist on a human sacrifice just so we can cheerfully retain a feudal head of state for us to torment?’
- ‘The president is the ceremonial head of state and is elected by the assembly.’
- ‘The president serves as the head of state and commander in chief of the armed forces.’
- ‘What do you have to say to the heads of state and government leaders who are meeting there demanding a change?’
- ‘Windsor would now be under investigation by police and we would begin the process of selecting a proper head of state.’
- ‘The difference with the recent demonstration was that it started out by saying no to the head of state.’
- ‘Women own about one per cent of the world's property and make up less than five per cent of the heads of state and cabinet ministers.’
- ‘The president was the fourth head of state to visit the school in its history.’
- ‘Because the president is also the head of state, it is harder to take him on, especially in these times.’
- ‘The head of state, the prime minister, is a member of the majority party in a multiparty system.’
- ‘The Queen could face a referendum on her position as head of state if the Liberal Democrats' youth wing gets it way.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.