One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Grass seed obtained from hay.
- ‘I had hayseed in my hair, and I think Rock had a little in his hair, too.’
2North American informal A person from the country, especially a simple, unsophisticated one.
countryman, countrywoman, peasant, daughter of the soil, son of the soil, country bumpkin, bumpkin, yokel, country cousinView synonyms
- ‘Mary's father was a violent hayseed.’
- ‘Daniel decides, on the spur of the moment, to marry a daffy little blonde hayseed named Bonnie Dee Peacock.’
- ‘TV has yet to yield a Canadian urban aesthetic that broadly appeals to all us former hayseeds who are drawn to urban hubs.’
- ‘I generally loathe modern country, which is simply bland pop-oriented music with a hayseed singing.’
- ‘They're just as cute as the others, but in a hayseed way.’
- ‘By the final issue I liked it, but the first issue was really hayseed and really backwards.’
- ‘The Savage family consists of a bunch of stubborn hayseeds that get real angry when crossed.’
- ‘This confederation of hayseeds took control of North Dakota after World War I.’
- ‘She lays on the hayseed vernacular awfully thick, both in her dialogue and her narration.’
- ‘On the surface, this is the story of a charming hayseed President who goes with his gut feeling.’
- ‘Just because he made his millions hunting for Texas crude hardly means he's a hayseed.’
- ‘The movie opens with childhood friends Rafe and Danny pretending to be pilots, to the dismay of Danny's hayseed father.’
- ‘No matter how good he is at playing a hayseed, he should start getting a little nervous about being typecast.’
- ‘Health advisers marveled that hayseeds could be so ignorant.’
- ‘There is some sort of derision of the farming community as a bunch of hayseeds.’
- ‘That Turturro can be convincing both as a Russian chess master and a Mississippi hayseed is a testament to his versatility as a performer.’
- ‘Think of us as straw-sucking hayseeds who don't have a clue.’
- ‘This was once the home of every hayseed with a goofy hat, a guitar, and a dream.’
- ‘He managed to raise my ire by repeatedly referring to the Tennessean as some sort of shoeless hayseed.’
- ‘It is tempting to ridicule these creationists, dismissing them as hayseeds and not giving them a second thought.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.