One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loft over a stable or barn used for storing hay or straw.
- ‘I discovered the owls by accident one day, when I climbed into the hayloft of my grandfather's old barn to play on the bales.’
- ‘I'd jump headlong from the hayloft into piles of straw, never stopping to consider how deep the straw was.’
- ‘They found three haybales that were against the edge of the hayloft, and carefully pulled them apart.’
- ‘He crouches at the edge of the hayloft and stands up, looking around for fresh straw to take down to his horse.’
- ‘The figure quietly moved Barranca's bridle and saddle to the hayloft where it would remain hidden until a thorough search was made of the barn.’
- ‘The farm's organic alfalfa is stored in the hayloft above.’
- ‘Our role was to protect the crops and guard the haylofts.’
- ‘Three women escaped from prison and sought to hide in the hayloft of a local farmer's barn.’
- ‘The flames danced and licked the hayloft and the house connected to it was charred and falling.’
- ‘It was made from wood, and had a high arching roof, with haylofts to either side, almost like a barn.’
- ‘He was climbing down the ladder from the hayloft.’
- ‘It contains seven bays for hay and grain storage, a threshing floor, two stables and a hayloft.’
- ‘It is built into an incline with a large entrance to the hayloft on an upper level and the entrances to the stables on the opposite lower level.’
- ‘With a start, he realized that he was still in the hayloft, and the sun was well up.’
- ‘Imagine that: someone who knows all about barn owls, nature and haylofts.’
- ‘Grateful that the grooms from the other stables had taken care of their horses that day, they climbed wearily into their rooms in the hayloft.’
- ‘He had just descended from the hayloft where he had been pitching down some fresh supplies for the horses.’
- ‘He stole the book out of the library and secretly read it in the hayloft above a nearby barn.’
- ‘The well-fenced paddock would be suitable for up to four horses, while a former coach house now provides two loose boxes with a hayloft above.’
- ‘The little girl was more often to be found prowling around the barns and jumping out of haylofts than sitting inside doing needlework.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.