One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loft over a stable or barn used for storing hay or straw.
- ‘He was climbing down the ladder from the hayloft.’
- ‘The well-fenced paddock would be suitable for up to four horses, while a former coach house now provides two loose boxes with a hayloft above.’
- ‘It is built into an incline with a large entrance to the hayloft on an upper level and the entrances to the stables on the opposite lower level.’
- ‘It was made from wood, and had a high arching roof, with haylofts to either side, almost like a barn.’
- ‘I'd jump headlong from the hayloft into piles of straw, never stopping to consider how deep the straw was.’
- ‘Three women escaped from prison and sought to hide in the hayloft of a local farmer's barn.’
- ‘Our role was to protect the crops and guard the haylofts.’
- ‘Grateful that the grooms from the other stables had taken care of their horses that day, they climbed wearily into their rooms in the hayloft.’
- ‘They found three haybales that were against the edge of the hayloft, and carefully pulled them apart.’
- ‘Imagine that: someone who knows all about barn owls, nature and haylofts.’
- ‘He crouches at the edge of the hayloft and stands up, looking around for fresh straw to take down to his horse.’
- ‘It contains seven bays for hay and grain storage, a threshing floor, two stables and a hayloft.’
- ‘He stole the book out of the library and secretly read it in the hayloft above a nearby barn.’
- ‘I discovered the owls by accident one day, when I climbed into the hayloft of my grandfather's old barn to play on the bales.’
- ‘The little girl was more often to be found prowling around the barns and jumping out of haylofts than sitting inside doing needlework.’
- ‘With a start, he realized that he was still in the hayloft, and the sun was well up.’
- ‘He had just descended from the hayloft where he had been pitching down some fresh supplies for the horses.’
- ‘The flames danced and licked the hayloft and the house connected to it was charred and falling.’
- ‘The farm's organic alfalfa is stored in the hayloft above.’
- ‘The figure quietly moved Barranca's bridle and saddle to the hayloft where it would remain hidden until a thorough search was made of the barn.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.