One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An allergy caused by pollen or dust in which the mucous membranes of the eyes and nose are itchy and inflamed, causing a runny nose and watery eyes.
- ‘If you have hay fever or other allergies, a sore throat may be one of the symptoms.’
- ‘Decongestants help to relieve symptoms such as a blocked nose, which is often caused by hay fever, and by dust and pet allergies.’
- ‘Although the symptoms of colds and hay fever are similar, the causes are distinctly different.’
- ‘Heredity plays a key role in determining who gets allergies, including hay fever.’
- ‘If you have seasonal hay fever, you may be allergic to pollens released by trees, grasses or weeds.’
- ‘There was no association between having had multiple vaccinations and hay fever.’
- ‘Intranasal corticosteroids, which you spray into your nose, are effective for hay fever.’
- ‘You're more likely to get hay fever if there is a history of allergies in your family, particularly asthma or eczema.’
- ‘Sneezing, a blocked or runny nose and itchy eyes are common symptoms of hay fever, also called seasonal allergic rhinitis.’
- ‘Antihistamines are most often used to treat the symptoms of allergies, particularly hay fever, and reactions to bites and stings.’
- ‘Identical questions were asked about asthma, hay fever, and respiratory symptoms at each survey.’
- ‘If there is eczema, asthma, or hay fever in your family, you are more likely to become allergic to something yourself.’
- ‘People are most at risk from hay fever when the pollen count is high.’
- ‘The type of pollen particle triggering hay fever is probably from trees, grasses or weeds.’
- ‘Inhaled anti-inflammatory cortisone drugs can be used for both hay fever and asthma.’
- ‘Rhinitis is a symptom of the common cold and of hay fever.’
- ‘Chewing a piece of comb honey daily often helps to clear the nose and sinuses during hay fever attacks.’
- ‘People who experience both asthma and hay fever may also wheeze and become short of breath.’
- ‘Despite advances in treatment, an increase has been observed in the incidence of summer hay fever.’
- ‘Consider immunotherapy at a specialist centre for those with severe hay fever not responding to medical treatment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.