One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small tropical marine fish found chiefly in the Indo-Pacific region. It typically lives in shallow water and adopts a distinctive perching or “hovering” position just above coral.
Family Cirrhitidae: three genera and several species
- ‘I was delighted to see long-nosed hawkfish on the black coral: the first I had seen east of Fiji.’
- ‘A hawkfish was lying motionless in a spot with a good overview.’
- ‘Hidden in one sea fan I spotted an old favourite, the long-nosed hawkfish.’
- ‘Among pendant black coral lurked those photographers' delights, tiny orange and red long-nosed hawkfish.’
- ‘From the cooler water morwong, to a splendid angelfish and the brightly speckled hawkfish, this oceanic haven in the middle of a vast sea vibrates to the rhythm of the Pacific's currents.’
- ‘We noticed hawkfish, blennies, gobies and a variety of crustaceans, often camouflaged with bits of sponge and soft coral for protection.’
- ‘There is also a surprisingly good population of pixie hawkfish skittering between the corals and they all seem to want to pose for the camera.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.