One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hawklike owl with a small head and long tail, and typically an obscure facial disk.
- ‘Some of the most common birds of prey here, the bald eagle, peregrine falcon, and osprey, are fish-eaters, though the hawk owl is not.’
- ‘The northern hawk owl, a rare sight in the wild, pinned its yellow eyes on me and let out a sibilant screech that nearly made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.’
- ‘It seems odd that the hawk owl should emerge as a vole specialist at all, given the owl's strong physical resemblance to birds that prey on other birds.’
- ‘When thousands of great gray, boreal and northern hawk owls flocked to northern Minnesota looking for food, they became targets.’
- ‘Some of the rare birds that were sighted in the premises included a pair of brown hawk owls, which was photographed by the team.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.