One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Having very good eyesight.
- ‘With keen hawk-eyed vision, he spied his next target.’
- 1.1 Watching carefully; vigilant.‘a hawk-eyed policeman saved the lives of dozens of shoppers’
vigilant, observant, alert, sharp-eyed, keen-eyed, gimlet-eyed, eagle-eyed, lynx-eyed, with one's eyes open, on the alert, on the lookout, with one's eyes opened, with one's eyes peeled, with one's eyes skinnedView synonyms
- ‘Alex is hawk-eyed when it comes to spotting lazy reasoning or fallacious argument, and lightning-fast at exposing it where it occurs.’
- ‘A hawk-eyed reader wrote in, pointing out that for any careful reader the information was obvious.’
- ‘He was eventually caught out by a hawk-eyed insurance official, who noticed a name in a particular case that had come up before in a number of previous claims.’
- ‘Guizhou province uses blocking software and hawk-eyed operators to censor pager and handphone text messages on examination day.’
- ‘Here's a sample that slipped by the hawk-eyed letters editors of some of the nation's esteemed newspapers.’
- ‘The hawk-eyed Food and Drug Administration deems lung - a common ingredient in haggis - to be unfit for human consumption.’
- ‘As for the hawk-eyed youngster, she says she wants to grow up to be a proofreader.’
- ‘I had to put my views into print to be scanned by thousands of educated people, including a number of hawk-eyed and censorious experts.’
- ‘Their hawk-eyed fielding contributed much towards their success.’
- ‘The wing entrance was particularly in need of cleaning but hawk-eyed members of the team were also disappointed with the quality of furniture and linen in some wards.’
- ‘Jack was watching the proceedings, hawk-eyed.’
- ‘Needless to say, my resolution put me under Emmy's hawk-eyed gaze, making sure I held to my promise.’
- ‘But a few other hawk-eyed readers pointed out that the grammar I used in my column was actually imprecise and clumsy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.