One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A place of safety or refuge.‘a haven for wildlife’
refuge, retreat, shelter, sanctuary, asylum, place of safety, place of security, port in a storm, harbour, oasis, sanctumView synonyms
- ‘Gardeners have been called upon to turn their green spaces into wildlife havens for animals and birds.’
- ‘Like any nation competing for foreign trade or investment, African countries have to focus on a variety of policies as a strategy to become more globally acceptable as investment havens.’
- ‘Hedgerow trees, a traditional sight in the British countryside and important havens for wildlife are fast disappearing, a conservation body has warned.’
- ‘Because failed states are havens for terrorists, Phillips says, conflict resolution is an important investment in U.S. security.’
- ‘Dozens of abandoned and neglected dogs and cats are to find shelter in a new haven, thanks to a community's generosity.’
- ‘You know the places; largely soulless havens for thirtysomethings, the complete antithesis of a traditional British boozer.’
- ‘About a third of these partnerships are registered in the Cayman Islands or other secrecy havens, which may make it impossible to unravel the worst corporate collapse in American history.’
- ‘Zambia and Zambians have the potential to make the country not only a haven of peace but also a land of plenty.’
- ‘The chatrooms were the havens of the anonymous.’
- ‘Workshops will be held to explore how graveyards can be turned into wildlife havens.’
- ‘You have criticized the greedy capitalists for breaking unions, leveling entire industries, and throwing men out of work to shift jobs to cheap labor havens.’
- ‘The various investigations underway should yield very important insights into how we can make buildings safer havens, and easier to escape as well.’
- ‘It may have strengthened his hand if he had once recognised that Australia is still, as always, one of the world's havens for refugees.’
- ‘Interest in commercial property funds, particularly from retail investors, has increased sharply in recent months as people look for safer havens away from equity markets.’
- ‘The refuge provides a haven for people fleeing violent or abusive relationships.’
- ‘But, while it may be advantageous to become an exile for taxation purposes, some businessmen simply move their assets to havens such as Switzerland to shroud their financial affairs in secrecy.’
- ‘France's reputation as a cheaper alternative to Spain is decreasing, as some buyers desert Spanish resorts in favour of France's rural farmland havens.’
- ‘Instead of driving money out of the stock market, the resulting financial insecurities promise to keep money in that might otherwise gravitate toward safer havens.’
- ‘‘We know that poverty and instability leads to weak states, which can become havens for terrorists and other criminals,’ Blair said.’
- ‘A ratings downgrade may compel Americans to direct their savings to safer havens - thus preserving a healthier pool of savings from which America's economy can be rebuilt.’
- 1.1 An inlet providing shelter for ships or boats; a harbor or small port.
anchorage, harbour, port, mooring, roadsView synonyms
- ‘I can see a lot more vessels taking advantage of this natural boat haven over the winter.’
- ‘This dominion not only extends over the open seas, but also over all creeks, arms of the sea, havens, ports, and tide-rivers, as far as the reach of the tide, around the coasts of the kingdom.’
- ‘Outstanding natural havens, as well as rivers, forests, wetlands, deserts and endangered species, all demand immediate regeneration and protection.’
- ‘The majority of vessels were sloops and schooners of 50-100 tons, ideal for working cargoes from the shallow and confined havens of north Northumberland.’
- ‘Timber was brought downriver to the haven. Ships were built in the shipyards there, and timber was also sent on to Numenor.’
Late Old English hæfen, from Old Norse hǫfn; related to Dutch haven, German Hafen ‘harbor’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.