One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be solely responsible for something bad that has happened.
- ‘You have only yourself to blame for this travesty.’
- ‘If they then enjoy material success but lack cultural ‘respect,’ they have only themselves to blame.’
- ‘Let citizens have only themselves to blame for major zoning decisions.’
- ‘If these men are released, the prosecution will have only themselves to blame.’
- ‘We have only ourselves to blame for letting the politicians give away power, in defiance of our constitutional rights.’
- ‘The government has only itself to blame for this state of affairs.’
- ‘It was an unexpected rebuff to the government, but the Blairites have only themselves to blame.’
- ‘Dublin have only themselves to blame for the score that put a goal between the sides.’
- ‘If you loose, you have only yourself to blame.’
- ‘The failure of journalists to ‘see through the facade’ is something for which they have only themselves to blame.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.