One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be solely responsible for something bad that has happened.
- ‘The government has only itself to blame for this state of affairs.’
- ‘It was an unexpected rebuff to the government, but the Blairites have only themselves to blame.’
- ‘Dublin have only themselves to blame for the score that put a goal between the sides.’
- ‘The failure of journalists to ‘see through the facade’ is something for which they have only themselves to blame.’
- ‘If they then enjoy material success but lack cultural ‘respect,’ they have only themselves to blame.’
- ‘Let citizens have only themselves to blame for major zoning decisions.’
- ‘If you loose, you have only yourself to blame.’
- ‘If these men are released, the prosecution will have only themselves to blame.’
- ‘We have only ourselves to blame for letting the politicians give away power, in defiance of our constitutional rights.’
- ‘You have only yourself to blame for this travesty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.