One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have one's eyes opened wide in amazement.
- ‘I knew my eyes were as wide as saucers and I scrabbled at the door.’
- ‘By now, I think I'm shaking, and I know full well that my face is pale, and that my eyes are as wide as saucers.’
- ‘Cilla's eyes were as round as saucers, but I didn't back down.’
- ‘Rachel looked around the room and saw that Nick, and her mother were both in the room looking at her with eyes as big as saucers not sure of what to do next.’
- ‘Her eyes grow wide as saucers and she takes another cautious bite.’
- ‘Her eyes were round as saucers as she stared, awed by the sight.’
- ‘All the while, her eyes were wide as saucers and her mouth gaped open.’
- ‘Again, Alana's eyes were like saucers and she gave him a dirty look.’
- ‘Mia's eyes became wide as saucers, and she looked at Mark.’
- ‘Lydia didn't seem to notice that her mouth was hanging slightly open, and Phil's eyes were wide as saucers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.