One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have an obsessive interest in or dislike of.‘she had a thing about men who wore glasses’
phobia, fear, horror, terrorpenchant for, preference for, taste for, inclination for, partiality for, predilection for, soft spot for, weakness for, fancy for, fondness for, liking for, love for, passion forView synonyms
- ‘I have a thing about sumptuously comfortable beds.’
- ‘She's lovely although she has a thing about climbing.’
- ‘‘Men have a thing about high heels,’ said sex shop manager Justin Parr.’
- ‘And he had a thing about not looking directly at her.’
- ‘I've always had a thing about travelling light.’
- ‘Some people have a thing about their thighs, stomach or numerous chins.’
- ‘He had a thing about redheads and he liked singers.’
- ‘And, perhaps as a result, I've always had a thing about not eating too many sweets, although this never seemed to extend to alcohol.’
- ‘For a brief period during my childhood I had a thing about boxing.’
- ‘Macdonald has a thing about beaches; she can't say why, she just likes them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.