One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be very surprised or angry.‘my mother would have a fit if she heard that’
- ‘You know my mother will throw a fit if she sees me like this.’
- ‘The rental company is sent away by the filming crew and my friend's husband throws a fit.’
- ‘They were used to him throwing a fit when he was in bad mood.’
- ‘Mother will be having a fit if she knows I'm sitting out in the cold air - for even though it seems warm she'll fuss.’
- ‘If people don't want to listen to what he wants to listen to, he throws a fit.’
- ‘I was in a line of folks standing behind a woman at the bookstore who was throwing a fit because the clerk could not find the copy of The Great Gatsby she'd called to reserve.’
- ‘Better get a move on so mother doesn't throw a fit when I get back.’
- ‘My mother would have a fit if she knew I spent a lot of time at Deane's.’
- ‘His mother had a fit, so they married again on New Year's Day 1937, this time with the family present.’
- ‘This hardly seems like the kind of thing to be throwing a fit about.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.