One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have or gain advantage or control over someone or something.
an advantage, a commanding position, an edge, the edge, the whip hand, a lead, a head start, ascendancy, superiority, supremacy, sway, control, predominance, power, mastery, dominance, commandView synonyms
- ‘Hussain also believes that the Australians usually gained the upper hand by bullying the opposition, and this is a pitfall the English team must avoid.’
- ‘However, it would be wrong to think that the government has the upper hand in controlling public opinion.’
- ‘Although in some classes of the society, the boy and the girl are given a bigger say, still it is the family that usually has the upper hand.’
- ‘Just when Claudius thinks he controls Hamlet, it is really Hamlet who has the upper hand over Claudius.’
- ‘Both teams strove to gain the upper hand but were very evenly matched.’
- ‘She had the upper hand, and she was using it well to her advantage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.