One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Have or gain advantage or control over someone or something.
an advantage, a commanding position, an edge, the edge, the whip hand, a lead, a head start, ascendancy, superiority, supremacy, sway, control, predominance, power, mastery, dominance, commandView synonyms
- ‘Just when Claudius thinks he controls Hamlet, it is really Hamlet who has the upper hand over Claudius.’
- ‘Hussain also believes that the Australians usually gained the upper hand by bullying the opposition, and this is a pitfall the English team must avoid.’
- ‘Although in some classes of the society, the boy and the girl are given a bigger say, still it is the family that usually has the upper hand.’
- ‘Both teams strove to gain the upper hand but were very evenly matched.’
- ‘She had the upper hand, and she was using it well to her advantage.’
- ‘However, it would be wrong to think that the government has the upper hand in controlling public opinion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.