Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Expensive, fashionable clothes produced by leading fashion houses.
- ‘Her dress, something between a medieval period costume and the latest haute couture, trailed behind her as the wind lifted it softly above the ground.’
- ‘Unlike haute couture, prêt-à-porter clothing isn't one of a kind.’
- ‘Once tailor made for the doyennes of chic, high-fashion magazines served up haute couture that only an elite few could actually afford.’
- ‘Despite the attempt by the forum to insist on casual dress, it is hard to part many businessmen from their suits, or their wives from their haute couture.’
- ‘Ebony Fashion Fair commentator Jada Jackson Collins took the stage and once again the haute couture adorning the captivating models dazzled the audience.’
- ‘What's a fashion show without the haute couture?’
- 1.1 The designing and making of haute couture clothing.‘the champions of haute couture insist that it can be as visionary as any art form’‘an elegant example of haute couture’[as modifier] ‘an haute couture outfit’
- ‘Once the preserve of haute couture designers, London Fashion Week is embracing the clothing revolution by giving official recognition to the high street and supermarkets.’
- ‘He was thrilled at the unexpected turn of events that brought him into the world of haute couture and top designers.’
- ‘Slender of thigh and elfin of feature, she proceeds to conjure up a world in which haute couture is seamlessly entwined with high culture.’
- ‘Internationally acclaimed Beri showcased a combination of ethnic and western outfits while presenting her haute couture collection.’
- ‘Constantly alter your new look with a dizzying range of haute couture hair accessories to keep everyone guessing.’
- ‘The haute couture collection bears the nucleus of the full blossoming of the brilliance that was the fall 2004 collection.’
- ‘The leading lights of international haute couture fawned over her.’
- ‘These women wear haute couture clothes of silk and ermine set off with expensive pearl jewelry.’
- ‘Born in Stockholm, Sweden, the artist trained for three years in design crafts and haute couture dressmaking and created one-off garments sold in boutiques in Stockholm.’
- ‘The retirement of Parisian style giant Yves Saint Laurent marks the end of an era for haute couture, fashionistas said this week.’
- ‘They've been doing that ever since haute couture was hatched - Coco Chanel herself claimed that fashion begins on the streets.’
- ‘She's just scooped one of the world's top fashion awards, but will the rising star of haute couture ever manage to escape her famous father's orbit?’
- ‘Most of the western haute couture houses are represented in Moscow, mainly in the Kuznetsky Most district just north of Red Square.’
- ‘The gallery is also littered with timeless examples of haute couture.’
- ‘Upon seeing some of the beaded garments, she revealed that she used to work for haute couture beading and embroidery institution House of Lesage in Paris.’
- ‘Whether they are haute couture, designer trousers, or ripped jeans, V-necks can be tucked in or left out of pants, to create the perfect look.’
- ‘Too many Russian designers focus on haute couture instead of less glamorous but more profitable ready-to-wear lines.’
- ‘Compared to Dior, Armani's haute couture is certainly a lot less dramatic, but there was certainly a more distinct difference between this collection and the normal RTW collections.’
- ‘Now that he wants to retire, Pierre Cardin, the legendary designer who brought haute couture to a women's ready-to-wear line, is discovering the disadvantage of marketing to the masses.’
- ‘While Mr Saint Laurent's house of haute couture will close, the name will not disappear.’
Early 20th century: French, literally high dressmaking.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.