One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a poignant or evocative manner.‘the words came hauntingly back to her’as submodifier ‘hauntingly beautiful music’
- ‘The uncertainty about his life with Jean remained hauntingly in the back of his mind.’
- ‘Her final solo is hauntingly affecting.’
- ‘The tales are models of scientific realism, describing in hauntingly convincing detail what it is like to voyage through the vast, empty reaches of the solar system.’
- ‘It is genuinely thrilling from start to finish, the plotting is faultless, the characters are hauntingly believable, and the pace is breathtakingly relentless.’
- ‘The mining town is well known for its ravaged, hauntingly barren countryside.’
- ‘This inescapable fate is most hauntingly captured in the sequence where she looks at and narrates over some stereoscope images.’
- ‘He ran across an 1896 photo of a burned-out building, hauntingly dripping with icicles.’
- ‘The movie is hauntingly beautiful, suspenseful, and infused with a strong aura of old Hong Kong.’
- ‘The people who are the ostensible subjects of these photographs are hauntingly absent.’
- ‘The music is eerie and hauntingly atmospheric.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.