One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who makes and sells hats.
- ‘Harry's first profession was as a felt hatter, but he was to move on to work for Stockport engineering firm Mirrlees.’
- ‘But what most of you may not know is that the mad hatter is based on a true story involving the hat makers in eighteenth century London who went mad from their lead hats.’
- ‘What's posh and what's not is about to become clear, as a leading London hatters and milliners packs up its top hats and heads for the city in time for what is arguably York's grandest social event.’
- ‘Inorganic mercury poisoning historically has been linked to Roman slaves, who were exposed to mercury vapor while mining in Spain, and to Venetian mirror makers and the hatters of London.’
- ‘He habitually wore a wide brimmed soft hat, which supposedly was an Australian hat but we're told actually was bought from a reputable London hatters, and so that was part of his eccentric image.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.