One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crime, typically one involving violence, that is motivated by prejudice on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation, or other grounds.
- ‘Was the arson a hate crime, they asked, an attempted triple homicide, or a hoax?’
- ‘The vandal, snared by an off-duty librarian, was arrested and charged with a hate crime.’
- ‘How many people do you know who've been the victim of a hate crime where the perpetrator has gone unpunished?’
- ‘West Yorkshire police today confirmed they were treating the incident of assault and criminal damage as a hate crime.’
- ‘A hate crime isn't just directed towards the actual members of a minority group.’
- ‘This anonymous critic mistakenly used free speech as an excuse for committing a hate crime.’
- ‘Police are appealing for witnesses in what they think was a homophobic hate crime this week.’
- ‘The officers responsible for the beating were terminated and prosecuted for what the courts viewed as a hate crime.’
- ‘We had been eating dinner when something about a hate crime against a young gay man came up on the TV.’
- ‘When a hate crime occurs, it doesn't matter what the actual orientation of the victim is.’
- ‘As she gained more experience, she moved into the hate crime unit and worked with domestic crime and had special responsibility within the racial crime unit.’
- ‘Last month he was murdered in what the police treated as a homophobic hate crime.’
- ‘Police treated Robert's attack as a hate crime, but his assailants have never been caught.’
- ‘Prosecuting murder as a hate crime only lets the rest of us think we're off the hook, while it tramples on justice.’
- ‘Sangha was shot in the temple with a pellet gun, in what he believes to be a racially motivated hate crime.’
- ‘This culture of safety and danger was produced by campaigns about hate crime and local crime reporting initiatives.’
- ‘If convicted of a hate crime, you could spend up to two years in jail.’
- ‘Other measures include a new team to tackle bogus official burglaries and an increase in hate crime reporting centres.’
- ‘The savage attack has been classified as a hate crime by the Police Department.’
- ‘Racist hate crime is rising in the city and police say jingoism during Euro 2004 may be to blame.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.