One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An opening or hatch, especially in a ship's deck.
- ‘He then opened the maintenance hatchways, removed the covers and began the slow job of pulling canister after canister of spent activated charcoal from their holders.’
- ‘A mariner emerges from the hatchway and climbs the rigging, while below the boatswain and ship's master are thrown about on deck.’
- ‘When we arrived on the dock some of the cargo was still being loaded - some sad-looking cattle were being urged through a large hatchway into the bowels of the ship, lowing miserably as they went.’
- ‘He was going to find the manual door controls but as soon as he stepped near the hatchway, they slowly opened up automatically and the light started flowing through.’
- ‘All that could be seen of the two craft that the ship possessed were the two identical hatchways, which led into the darkness of the interior of the pods.’
- ‘The two of them headed down the hatchway to the lowest deck.’
- ‘The bulkheads were low and sections were separated with hatchways that sat about eight inches above the floor.’
- ‘A huge oaken door with a small hatchway halfway up loomed in front of Wolf.’
- ‘Soldiers began to emerge from the swollen hatchways on the surface like ants pouring forth from their hill.’
- ‘Other small huts on the deck cover a hatchway below decks and the rigging store.’
- ‘A hatchway between leads back into the forecastle, a tight and very silty space should you feel inclined to explore.’
- ‘As they came through the hatchway at the bottom of the sail, the entire crew, dressed in formal dress attire, snapped to attention.’
- ‘Halfway down the steps leading to this deck, an open hatchway leads beneath the wheelhouse.’
- ‘She grabbed a jacket on the way outside, and went through the hatchway to the deck.’
- ‘This diver is entering the wreck through a broken hatchway.’
- ‘Then both brothers startled as the engine room hatchway grated open, the metal protesting as it had to be forced.’
- ‘The forward storeroom can be exited through an open hatchway upward to the bow deck.’
- ‘Those hatchways weren't really meant for human access, but she was a little double-jointed so she'd been able to wriggle up and into the ship without too much problem.’
- ‘Once connected all the ramps lit up and the hanger door opened meaning that the hatchways to the rest of the ship and the control room were sealed.’
- ‘Blair laughed, then followed Jim through the hatchway and up the stairs to the pilot house.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.