One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A deep-bodied laterally compressed tropical freshwater fish of the New World. It is able to fly short distances above the surface of the water by beating its broad pectoral fins.
Family Gasteropelecidae: three genera, in particular Gasteropelecus, and several species
- ‘A night dive here revealed night shrimp, hatchetfish, cardinalfish and a Spanish lobster.’
- ‘The Common or Silver Hatchetfish is a deep bodied fish with a 'hatchet' type shape to it.’
- ‘Sleeperfish and hatchetfish, which prefer the shade, hung out in small schools.’
- ‘Resident giant grouper, turtles and schools of hatchetfish reside below the jetty.’
- ‘Midwater species, such as lanternfishes, hatchetfishes and dragonfishes have rows of lights along the underside of the body, probably for mating and identification as well as foraging.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.