Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A car with a door across the full width at the back end that opens upward to provide easy access for loading.
- ‘Why aren't more different types of cars - namely hatchbacks, wagons and microcars - more readily available in the U.S.?’
- ‘Also avoid putting it unsecured in the boot of a hatchback or estate car, as the carrier will be thrown around in a crash.’
- ‘People bemoaned the looks of hatchbacks because they didn't look like a regular four door sedan, causing the decline of the image of cars because of their most useful feature.’
- ‘It is expected to sell well in Ireland, where, unusually in Europe, saloons outsell hatchbacks in the small car segment.’
- ‘The big hatchback provides excellent luggage space and the rear seats are split for carrying awkward loads.’
- ‘The design is ageing and the interior plasticky, but this is the most fun and rewarding to drive of all these small, sporty hatchbacks.’
- ‘The two companies are planning a full range of new models, including hatchbacks, saloons and sports cars.’
- ‘The company says it is a crossover between a hatchback and a station wagon.’
- ‘With its hatchback opening, the boot is easily accessible and very roomy.’
- ‘Sporty hatchbacks, coupes and saloons would be tearfully exchanged for the bigger, sensible and practical but dull to drive estates.’
- ‘They were quiet homes - mainly lived in by retired couples - with uncluttered rectangular gardens dominated by neatly cut lawns out front and polished cars on the drive; Japanese saloons and German hatchbacks.’
- ‘After all, if five seats are sufficient, why not just buy a regular hatchback / estate car?’
- ‘It was made available as a hatchback with an option of three doors or five doors.’
- ‘The results include one of the most spacious and comfortable five-door family hatchbacks on the road today, a stylish and sporty three-door and a highly elegant coupe.’
- ‘Many of the front lawns had been tarmacked over to provide parking space for an assortment of hatchbacks and small saloons of varying age and condition.’
- ‘Apart from these sedans, there are also hatchbacks or mini multipurpose vehicles with engine capacities of up to 1,500 cc.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.