A decorative ribbon encircling a hat, held in position above the brim.
- ‘Buddy pulled on his cowboy boots, and donned a black felt cowboy hat with an Indian pattern hatband.’
- ‘Traffic wardens are rarely a welcome sight to any motorist, but the latest suggested mission for the men and women with the yellow hatbands is surely a righteous one.’
- ‘The sun was starting to burn the back of my neck, so I popped on my black Resistol with silver studs around the hatband.’
- ‘Perfect for the man on the go, this panama hat boasts a three-pleated blue hatband.’
- ‘Formality comes into play with very chic suits, shirts and ties; there are also a lot of classic straw hats with feather hatbands.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.