Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A service stripe worn on the left sleeve of an enlisted person's uniform to indicate three years of service in the army or four years in the navy.
- ‘Note the belted jacket with shoulder insignia and longevity ‘hash marks’ on the sleeves.’
- ‘One of the Honor Guards had 10 'hash marks' on his sleeve.’
- 1.1A service stripe on any uniform.
- ‘Military-like hash marks indicating years of service will be worn on the new long-sleeve shirts in New York City; on short sleeves, a bar over the breast pocket serves the same purpose.’
- ‘This man had more stripes and hash marks up and down his sleeves than you can ever imagine.’
One of a series of marks made along parallel lines that delineate the middle of the field, used to spot the ball after a play ends outside these lines.
- ‘So instead of attacking inside the hash marks, quarterback Matt Leinart has been forced to work outside of the hashes with fades and quick curls - where the boundaries limit yards after the catch.’
- ‘But the skill of booting successful field goals still has a learning curve due to college football's rules that the kick will take place on either side of the hash marks if that is where the ball was downed the previous play.’
- ‘The majority of his throws have been outside the hash marks.’
- ‘Against Baltimore, for instance, Wesley intercepted a pass near the sideline after breaking for the ball from the far hash mark.’
- ‘Against Denver's cover - 2, the game plan is to let the receivers catch the ball between the hash marks and let the hard-hitting safeties blow them up.’
3The symbol #
- ‘If you absolutely can't produce a pound sign, it has become conventional in computing circles to use the hash mark instead (hence its other name).’
- ‘The bad news is, there are a couple places where the fire can cross more easily eastward into the populated areas (those purple hash marks on the map represent urban and suburban areas).’
- ‘I was just wondering if there's any possibility to have hylafax send the tone equivalent to pressing the hash mark on a regular phone?’
- ‘Shown is a representative egg-laying pattern, with egg-laying events indicated by hash marks.’
- ‘Why aren't these students mere hash marks representing a quota met for her recruiting territory?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.